Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Threads regarding design
Threads regarding design [message #206354] Wed, 29 November 2006 13:28 Go to next message
Frank
Hi,

Every once and again a question comes up regarding the design of either an application or a (part of a) database.
Normally I move those to the General forum. Is there a better place for these?
Re: Threads regarding design [message #206435 is a reply to message #206354] Thu, 30 November 2006 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I agree; perhaps we could have a "Database Design" forum too.
Re: Threads regarding design [message #206445 is a reply to message #206435] Thu, 30 November 2006 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
I normally move them to Designer Forum - Oracle Designer and General Database Design Issues (including ER-Modeling, UML, etc).
Re: Threads regarding design [message #206451 is a reply to message #206445] Thu, 30 November 2006 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Hm, ok.
I never saw the Designer forum in that perspective (must admit, I never read the subtitle). This is probably because of the way Designer is used a lot in The Netherlands: to generate (Forms) applications.
From what I heard, this isn't common use in other regions..

I think a separate forum could be overkill, considering the small number of posts.
Re: Threads regarding design [message #206610 is a reply to message #206451] Thu, 30 November 2006 17:19 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I also had not considered the 'Designer' forum for this purpose, but it IS in the sub-title and as long as we all use the same place for the same purpose then I suppose that's okay.

I agree with 'Frank' there are very few places that use Oracle Designer for creating applications, unfortunately. I did it one time for a small application, 16 days (of 4 people - end to end), one VERY large multi-tab Form which was later split into 4 'directed' Forms. To my chagrin I had to write one line of code in the initial version. I then learned what I had done wrong in my Designer definition and was able to remove my one manual line of code. The application was a roaring success and is still in use 10 years later, and is still maintained through Designer which has been upgraded as they upgraded the rest of their applications manually.

David

PS I see that a Design question was raised in the General area.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 November 2006 17:23]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: how to print a topic only
Next Topic: Backend Structure?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:56:22 CDT 2024