Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Moderators
Moderators [message #118881] Mon, 09 May 2005 09:37 Go to next message
rucknrun
Are there moderators on the different forums?
Re: New Forum: Site Suggestions & Feedback [message #118884 is a reply to message #118881] Mon, 09 May 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Yes.
The forums are moderated.

Re: New Forum: Site Suggestions & Feedback [message #118886 is a reply to message #118884] Mon, 09 May 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rucknrun
By who though? The few times I have posted messages I get replies, please read the documentation. I could get that off of Metalink. I was hoping these forums were a place to find help.
Re: New Forum: Site Suggestions & Feedback [message #118906 is a reply to message #118886] Mon, 09 May 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
If the exact information is found in documentation, sometimes the poster may be asked to look into documentation.
>> I was hoping these forums were a place to find help.
Yes. very true.
But it is not possible to 'teach' everything here.
In order provide the answer fast and in clear manner, people do recommend Documentation or other URL(like asktom).
Is that offending to you?

>>By who though?
Frank/Maaher/Art/Barbara/Andrew/Todd ....etc.
The forums are moderated for offending references/materials/words/phrases etc.
Mostly tech stuff goes unmoderated.
Re: New Forum: Site Suggestions & Feedback [message #119057 is a reply to message #118906] Tue, 10 May 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rucknrun
I wouldn't say offended. I would say annoyed. I started using this site as an alternative to Metalink forums. But if all I am going to get is read the documentation. What makes this site different? Why would I use these forums?
Re: New Forum: Site Suggestions & Feedback [message #119067 is a reply to message #119057] Tue, 10 May 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
As said before,
it is better written/defined/explained in documentation.
any forum ,metalink,mailing-lists or whatever can help one to identify the problem or get a lead or jumpstart. And it cannot 'TEACH' one with oracle's step-by-step procedures ( like how to start the databse/ how to create a user etc).
Would you suggest to re-write everything that is in docs and post it here or organize training sesssions or help with all the homework without ANY EFFORT from the ORIGINAL POSTER?
90% of the questions thrown here / any forum are clearly documented in manuals.
so what is wrong to refer the docs? ( in a very few cases, oracle documentation is been Wrong or with trivial wordings).

I dont see , how you can compare these forums with metalink.
Metalink is paid service.
You open a TAR and brothers at OSS as supposed to handle you.

Public forums are NOT.
In fact most of the folks here have never heard of metalink.

>>Why would I use these forums?

I expect Knowledge Transfer and that is it.
To get the knowledge we go after books/periodicals/other websites/advice from others or whatever and with SOME EFFORT on my SIDE.
Re: New Forum: Site Suggestions & Feedback [message #119070 is a reply to message #118886] Tue, 10 May 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
And Maaher has accounted something.

How to get a quick answer to your question: TIPS AND TRICKS.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/42319/42800/

Re: New Forum: Site Suggestions & Feedback [message #119118 is a reply to message #119057] Tue, 10 May 2005 13:31 Go to previous message
Maaher
rucknrun wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 15:16

I wouldn't say offended. I would say annoyed.

Well, it's the same on this side of the world. If I browse the forums in the few spare hours I have each day, and I encounter the same question again, without details, with a very basic question and some "IM speak" I get annoyed, yes.

But if all I am going to get is read the documentation.

It should be the first thing to check. Always. If you already did and if you have already checked MetaLink, say so. It prevents "RTFM replies". As stated in the sticky: "show us what you tried".

What makes this site different?

From MetaLink: ask your employer. He'll know. This is a site based on free knowledge sharing. An principle that has saved me a lot of headaches already. Some real coding gems are yours without costing you a dime, isn't that something?

Why would I use these forums?

That's entirely up to you. I use them mostly to reply to people asking questions and to search for things I'm not sure of. The search facility isn't perfect, but it's better than the one on OTN...

But it's nice to have some feedback though...Wink

[EDIT: typo]
MHE

[Updated on: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:59]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Suggestion : Top Ratings FAQ's
Next Topic: Finding IP Addresses
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:32:33 CDT 2024