Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Audit Trail?
Audit Trail? [message #115358] Sun, 10 April 2005 13:32 Go to next message
tevion32x
We use a tool for entering what we have worked (2 hours coding for project x, 2 hours documenting and so on) each day.

The input is saved in an Oracle database.

Everyone is allowed to manipulate data of other team members. If I forgot to enter my data, I call a coworker who is still working and ask him to enter it for me. If we don't do this each day we get a lot of problems of our stupid boss.

I want to investigate who manipulated the data of a coworker of mine. Someone must have deleted his some of his data over the last months. The tool which we use doesn't keep track of who changed what and when (no audit trail).

So my hope is that Oracle knows it. I mean: Which user did what data change, and on which day? Or from which machine the change was done? How did the data look before, how later? Does Oracle store this information somewhere? If yes, how can I retrieve it?

My coworker will be fired, one reason is because of this. He says that he has not forgotten to write done his working hours. Someone must have deleted them. Now he is in trouble because it looks like he is not working good.

Sorry for my bad English. I hope you understand the problem.
Re: Audit Trail? [message #115466 is a reply to message #115358] Mon, 11 April 2005 16:49 Go to previous message
smartin
Oracle has an auditing feature, but you must turn it on. There are some chapters in the docs about it.

I'd also suggest that you don't allow everyone to alter the data of everyone else, just asking for trouble.

If you must, let anyone ENTER data for anyone else, but not actually modify what is already there.
Previous Topic: Grant for all object of a user
Next Topic: creating role with password
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:14:40 CDT 2024