Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Is it better to use DBUA for database upgrade on windows platofrm? (11.2.0.2 windows server 2008 r2)
Is it better to use DBUA for database upgrade on windows platofrm? [message #651862] Thu, 26 May 2016 08:44 Go to next message
juniordbanewbie
Dear all,

I'm doing an upgrade from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.4 on windows server 2008 r2. In the process i still need to take snapshots of what is done. After the db upgrade, we need to stop the db in the 2008 r2 server, unmount the drives in the old server and move to 2012 r2 server. After that I still need to apply path 11.2.0.4.14 based on https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/relnotes.112/e23557/toc.htm#CJADJDHF

The 11.2.0.4 installation alone take me half an hour.
when I run catupgrd.sql, the script took 59 minutes to complete.

When I timed every thing from preupgrade to installation to manual upgrade, it took me more than 2 hours to complete. In fact I've develop script to automate some of the process.

so my solution is that I divide into two sessions:
first session:I run preupgrade, install 11.2.0.4 dbhome, prepare the new 11.2.0.4 dbhome

second session:startup upgrade, then run catupgrd.sql =>this session should take about 1.5 hours.

but the problem is any new oracle installation on windows platform will override that path, i.e

path=D:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0.4\dbhome_1\bin;D:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin

The above can be resolve easily.

but the problem comes when the Db is not yet upgraded but the OracleMTSRecoveryService points to new Oracle Home, effectively meaning that I've do everything all in once shot.

does anyone has experience in manual upgrade of database on windows platform. do we need to reset OracleMTSRecoveryService to point to old home if the database is not upgraded yet.

Reference
Complete Checklist for out-of-Place Manual Upgrade from Previous 11.2.0.N Version to the Latest 11.2.0.N Patchset ( Doc ID 1276368.1 )

HOW TO RELOCATE ORAMTS FROM ONE EXISTING ORACLE HOME TO PREVIOUS ORACLE HOME ? ( Doc ID 1904751.1 )

1276368.1 did not mentioned anything about OracleMTSRecoveryService

from https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/upgrade.htm#UPGRD12408, OracleMTSRecoveryService is never mentioned in the documentation, so I presume the documentation is talking about do preupgrade, installation and manual upgrade at the same time.

could any one answer the following question:

Is it required to change OracleMTSRecoveryService to oldpath while the database is not yet upgraded.

Anyway to speed up the process.

thanks a lot!
Re: Is it better to use DBUA for database upgrade on windows platofrm? [message #651871 is a reply to message #651862] Thu, 26 May 2016 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I don't understand this at all. Can you explain again?
You talk about upgrading the database, but then you mention unmounting drives and (I think) moving them to a new machine with a different operating system. What do you want to do? Upograde, or move? Or both? If both, do one then the other. Not both at once.
Re: Is it better to use DBUA for database upgrade on windows platofrm? [message #651872 is a reply to message #651862] Thu, 26 May 2016 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
startup upgrade, then run catupgrd.sql =>this session should take about 1.5 hours.
Why 1.5 hours? You said earlier that it was 59 minutes.
Re: Is it better to use DBUA for database upgrade on windows platofrm? [message #651884 is a reply to message #651872] Thu, 26 May 2016 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
It's not at all clear what you are seeing. You said "first session:I run preupgrade, install 11.2.0.4 dbhome, prepare the new 11.2.0.4 dbhome". Okay, that doesn't even come into your 'timing' equation. All you've done (or should have done) is install new software into it's own, new, ORACLE_HOME, and run some assesments. I do that days, if not weeks, prior to the 'go-live' for the upgrade.

Then you say "second session:startup upgrade, then run catupgrd.sql =>this session should take about 1.5 hours.". Ok, so now you have upgraded the db from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.4.

Then you say "but the problem comes when the Db is not yet upgraded but the OracleMTSRecoveryService points to new Oracle Home, effectively meaning that I've do everything all in once shot." This is where it gets confusing. What do you mean the db is not yet upgraded? At what point did your MTSRecoveryService begin to point to the new home?
Re: Is it better to use DBUA for database upgrade on windows platofrm? [message #651896 is a reply to message #651884] Thu, 26 May 2016 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
juniordbanewbie
Dear John,

You talk about upgrading the database, but then you mention unmounting drives and (I think) moving them to a new machine with a different operating system. What do you want to do? Upograde, or move? Or both? If both, do one then the other. Not both at once.
=>both
=> understand that we need to upgrade db
=>stop db
=>unmount drives and mount in new machine

Why 1.5 hours? You said earlier that it was 59 minutes.=> I make a mistake, it was 59 minutes.

Dear EdStevens
regarding the first session and second session, client wants every thing to be done from a given time from 1700 hrs EDT to 1900hrs EDT. so strictly speaking it will also include new db home installation and preparing db home (i.e. copy all required files like password file, spfile, pfile,....from old home to new home). If every thing has to be done from 1700hrs EDT to 1900 hrs including taking snapshots, of course it won't be possible. but it looks like we have to define upgrade process as only running three scripts,

catupgrd, utl112s and catuppst

if still don't understand, may be you can really ignore what i say.

All you've done (or should have done) is install new software into it's own, new, ORACLE_HOME, and run some assesments. I do that days, if not weeks, prior to the 'go-live' for the upgrade.=> I agree with what u say, pre upgrade script and new db home installation should be done before the actual upgrade. ie. running the 3 script mention.

Then you say "but the problem comes when the Db is not yet upgraded but the OracleMTSRecoveryService points to new Oracle Home, effectively meaning that I've do everything all in once shot." This is where it gets confusing. What do you mean the db is not yet upgraded? At what point did your MTSRecoveryService begin to point to the new home?\
=>db is still operating in old version, i.e. 11.2.0.2
=>when I installed a new Oracle Home

=>it's a problem on windows platform, if u install a new oracle home, it will does two things:

first it will append the new oracle home bin in front of the new oracle home bin.

path=D:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0.4\dbhome_1\bin;D:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin

The above can be resolve easily.

but the real biggie is OracleMTSRecoveryService, at any one time there will only be one OracleMTSRecoveryService and once u install a new oracle home, it will override that previous home.

so do I really need to go to the registry to point to the old home again when database is not yet upgraded.
My hesitation comes from the fact that
If the developers design such that any new oracle installation will modify OracleMTSRecoveryService's execution path, the reason could be a higher version binaries is able to read lower version processes or files. Why do double work when you need not right?

basically all the 3 scripts mentioned will not take care of any OracleServices. We have to take care of it.

HOW TO RELOCATE ORAMTS FROM ONE EXISTING ORACLE HOME TO PREVIOUS ORACLE HOME ? (Doc ID 1904751.1)

so my last question is

so do I really need to go to the registry to point to the old home again when database is not yet upgraded.

thanks for your kind responses
Re: Is it better to use DBUA for database upgrade on windows platofrm? [message #651898 is a reply to message #651896] Fri, 27 May 2016 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I would install 11.2.0.4 and apply the April PSU (you seem to have forgotten that bit) on your new server. Copy over any necessary files (such as spfile, SQL*Net files, password file) to the new Oracle Home. Create the service with oradim.exe.
You can do all that now.
Then in your two hour down time window, transfer the database to the new machine by doing whatever it is you do to the discs and run the upgrade script.

Easy.
Re: Is it better to use DBUA for database upgrade on windows platofrm? [message #651902 is a reply to message #651898] Fri, 27 May 2016 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
juniordbanewbie
thanks I did not think of installing the patch on the new server before moving the files from old server to new server

but I need to do a post patch installation right? after all installing the patch only modified the oracle home it does not apply the patches on the datafiles.

from patch Oracle® Database Patch (22839608) version
11.2.0.4.160419 readme

3.3 Patch PostInstallation
Instructions
After installing the patch, perform the following actions:
1. Load modified SQL files into the database, as explained in Section 3.3.1
2. Upgrade Oracle Recovery Manager catalog, as explained in Section 3.3.2.
3.3.1 Loading Modified SQL Files into the Database
The following steps load modified SQL files into the database. For a RAC environment, perform these steps on only one node.
1. For each database instance running on the Oracle home being patched, connect to the database using SQL*Plus. Connect as SYSDBA and
run the catbundle.sql script as follows:
cd %ORACLE_HOME%\rdbms\admin
sqlplus /nolog
SQL> CONNECT / AS SYSDBA
SQL> STARTUP
SQL> @catbundle.sql PSU apply
SQL> QUIT

Let now strictly classified upgrade process as running three scripts catupgrd, utl112s and catuppst. any work done before running three scripts should be classified as preparatory work.

when i installed new oracle home it will automatically append the new old home to the environment and also points MTSRecoveryService to new home.

Now is it necessary to reset the MTSRecoveryService home to the old home?

thanks for your kind advice!
Re: Is it better to use DBUA for database upgrade on windows platofrm? [message #651905 is a reply to message #651902] Fri, 27 May 2016 03:50 Go to previous message
John Watson
Quote:
but I need to do a post patch installation right? after all installing the patch only modified the oracle home it does not apply the patches on the datafiles.
Wrong. You do need to read the readme for the patch.
Quote:
when i installed new oracle home it will automatically append the new old home to the environment and also points MTSRecoveryService to new home.

Now is it necessary to reset the MTSRecoveryService home to the old home?
Now you are not thinking. Your 11.2.0.2 home is on one machine, your 11.2.0.4 home is on a another.
Previous Topic: Database stops working
Next Topic: Event Viewer Write Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:05:48 CDT 2024