Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Schema Creation (Postgres Sql)
Schema Creation [message #562777] Sun, 05 August 2012 00:50 Go to next message
kumar_hi21@yahoo.com
I Am not cleared in One scenario...

I am newly developed one DB design ...

Actually My ERP have a four module (FINANCE,HR,INVETORY,PRODUCTION)

mY dOUPT IS ?

Each Module developed a seperate Schema,OR Single schema ...

Which one is better?How to build a strong Security Level ?
The data is very very Important One ?
I need a advantege and disadvantage of Both ?
How to develop a ER diagram in this module Any Ref...

I am eagerly waiting for your Reply...

Thanks
Kumar
Re: Schema Creation [message #562778 is a reply to message #562777] Sun, 05 August 2012 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
This is an Oracle forum. I have no idea what is considered best practice with Postgres, you had better ask the question somewhere more appropriate.
Regards, JW.
Re: Schema Creation [message #562779 is a reply to message #562777] Sun, 05 August 2012 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1/ Note this is an Oracle forum
2/ AS your main concern is security, I think it is better to separate them into different schemas. Then create roles (does this exist in Postgres?) for each functional needs and assign one or several roles to each user account.

The prime directive for security is: "give each account the least privileges it needs to achieve his tasks".
This can lead to activate/deactivate some privileges/roles depending on the current task.

Regards
Michel
Re: Schema Creation [message #562780 is a reply to message #562778] Sun, 05 August 2012 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumar_hi21@yahoo.com
Thanks For your reply ....Postgres is the oracle open source ..same as Oracle ...U assum with oracle ...Tell me your advice ...How to design DB And ER Diagram
Re: Schema Creation [message #562782 is a reply to message #562780] Sun, 05 August 2012 02:43 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
No, no, Postgres is not the same as Oracle, no relation at all, it is the object-relational version of Ingres (it is Post-Ingres). Even the roles I mentioned in my previous post are not the same notion than Oracle one.
I gave you the basic principles, only YOU know what are the actual security requirements.
I think you should post this in a Postgres forum.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: DBMS_SCHEDULER
Next Topic: Ensuring read only access to any table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:30:09 CDT 2024