Home » Open Source » Programming Interfaces » Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data? (MS Access 2007, informix, visual foxpro)
Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data? [message #462943] Mon, 28 June 2010 15:46 Go to next message
s.vishalkumar@gmail.com
I have created an ODBC Connection between Informix Database and MS Access, and I am accessing those tables data using MS Access. Does this lock the tables, and if there are any updates to be made on those table, will those update jobs fail while I am using the data.

I have got few colleagues who say that, MS Access has a commited Read, and I need to set the flag to no, so that if there were any underlying process updates on these tables, the process would not break.

Can you please let me know if this really happens. I was under the assumption that If I am making an ODBC connection, then I am only reading it as an interface and all the other processes would scuccessfully run.

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated

[MERGED by LF]

[Updated on: Tue, 29 June 2010 14:55] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data? [message #462944 is a reply to message #462943] Mon, 28 June 2010 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Informix, MS Access, SQL Server - where's Oracle in this story?
Re: Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data? [message #462947 is a reply to message #462944] Mon, 28 June 2010 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s.vishalkumar@gmail.com
Actually I have three different source systems from which I have migrate the data.

source1 : informix
source2 : visual foxpro
source3 : sql server 2005

I am accessing these data sources using ODBC connection I have made and then exporting the data as data files into Oracle which is the target.

But the question, I have asked has nothing to do with ORACLE.
It is a question regarding ODBC and MS Access. As I do not know where to post, I saw that there is more activity in this particular group, so I thought I would definitely get some input.

So, can you help me in resolving the issue.

Thanks,
Vishal;
Re: Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data? [message #462948 is a reply to message #462947] Mon, 28 June 2010 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Did you not consider asking this question in one of MS Access forums, for example?

Oh, yes - I can't help - I know almost nothing about databases you mentioned.
Re: Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data? [message #462953 is a reply to message #462948] Mon, 28 June 2010 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s.vishalkumar@gmail.com
why dont you answer to my question, instead of mocking at me.

oh, yes - I know because you only know Oracle, and know nothing about other databases.
Re: Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data? [message #462954 is a reply to message #462953] Mon, 28 June 2010 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data?
Exactly what is a "committed read"?
Re: Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data? [message #462956 is a reply to message #462954] Mon, 28 June 2010 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s.vishalkumar@gmail.com
Lets say, you are accessing the informix tables data thru MS Access, and around 8:00 PM there is a process which updates these tables everyday. Now as I am reading the data the process might break as there will be locks on the table.
I am not sure if this is the case but, as I am reading the data and the data is committed, and it does not encourage any update processes to run.

This would be my definition. But that is what I want to know, does it really lock the tables when I am accessing the tables data theu ODBC connection.

All these days i was just thinking that ODBC connection is just like an interface to the original database, and the whole reason behind acccessing these tables is not to mess up the original tables.

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
Re: Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data? [message #462957 is a reply to message #462956] Mon, 28 June 2010 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Why are you spamming this Oracle specific forum with off topic questions?
Are you too lazy to find a more appropriate forum?

http://www.dbforums.com/informix/
http://www.iiug.org/forums/

Folks at the sites above should be able to answer your questions
Re: Does ODBC connection from INFORMIX DB to MS ACCESS has committed read on the data? [message #463011 is a reply to message #462943] Tue, 29 June 2010 06:02 Go to previous message
tahpush

I think what your collegues means is that you should set the isoloation level to dirty reads on the informix side.
My suggestion is to get rid of the MS Access , have a look at Oracle XE which is a real RDBMS and free of charge.
Informix has passed it "best-before date" ages ago ,IBM putting all the money into DB2.
Previous Topic: Metadata is displayed is old through JDBC even if Table is altered
Next Topic: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:26:35 CDT 2024