Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix
Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459218] Fri, 04 June 2010 00:55 Go to next message
wasimshaikh1985
Hi All,

We have an application that fetches and writes data into oracle database through pro c. oracle datyabase is on another server.

We are storing some secure information into oracle database so we want to encrypt the data sent by our aplication into oracle database.We do not want to use SSL(i.e certificates) and also do not want to make use of Advance Security Option available in oracle and also do not want to make any changes in sqlnet.ora file on server side.

Is there any way to acheive encryption of traffic between our application and Oracle database or any third party tool that can help us solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459219 is a reply to message #459218] Fri, 04 June 2010 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Encrypt in your application.

Regards
Michel
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459224 is a reply to message #459219] Fri, 04 June 2010 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasimshaikh1985
Thanks for you input.

I will explain you in detail:

Our application[MAIN application] is a form which has many applications[SUB APPLICATIONS] attached to it.
user has to just login to our MAIN application using user id and password, but for logging into SUB APPLICATION is a Single Sign On process which means user does not has to provide login credentials while accessing SUB APPLICATIONS. The user id and Password for this SUB APPLICATIONS is stored in oracle database, whenever user tries to Login to SUB APPLICATIONS these credentials are fetched from oracle databse.We want to encrypt this credentials.we cannot do encryption for SUB APPLICATIONS since user does not know the password for accessing these SUB APPLICATIONS.and these passwords for SUB APPLICATIONS are refreshed regularly by MAIN APPLICATION.

Thanks
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459228 is a reply to message #459224] Fri, 04 June 2010 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You want to protect what against what precisely?

Regards
Michel
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459232 is a reply to message #459228] Fri, 04 June 2010 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasimshaikh1985

I want to protect the data that i am sending to oracle database from extrenal threat.as currently we are sending it in clear text format.
We dont want to use SSL and Advance Security option of Oracle.

Thank You Sir once again for your time.
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459235 is a reply to message #459232] Fri, 04 June 2010 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasimshaikh1985

Sir to be precise following is the scenario:

we have an exe which works as client and sending some SQL statements as follows:

ALTER USER abc IDENTIFIED BY pwd;

so we want the channel to be secured from client to oracle server.

I hope it is cleared.
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459238 is a reply to message #459232] Fri, 04 June 2010 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I want to protect the data that i am sending to oracle database from extrenal threat.as currently we are sending it in clear text format.

So you have only 2 options:
- encrypt the network
- encrypt the data in the application

If you don't want to use SSL or Oracle native network encryption, you cannot achieve the first one.
If you don't want or cannot change the application, you cannot achieve the second one.

Quote:
we have an exe which works as client and sending some SQL statements as follows:
ALTER USER abc IDENTIFIED BY pwd;

NEVER use this statement to change a password, use the Oracle native change password function of your API that transmits the password encrypted.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 04 June 2010 04:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459249 is a reply to message #459238] Fri, 04 June 2010 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasimshaikh1985
Thanks a Ton Sir. Razz

Are you talking about OCI password change function?
or somethng else, please explain.

Sorry for bothering you much.
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459254 is a reply to message #459249] Fri, 04 June 2010 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes, I am talking about "oci_password_change" or the like depending on your language.

Regards
Michel
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459259 is a reply to message #459254] Fri, 04 June 2010 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasimshaikh1985
Billion Dollar Thanks Michel.
I would definetly work on this.
Looking forward in co-operation.
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459271 is a reply to message #459254] Fri, 04 June 2010 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasimshaikh1985
Hi Michel,

Can we make use of SSL certificates for implementation of my requirement.

I have studied oracle native function for change of password but it requires old password and unfortunately we dont have the old password for the user with us.

Please mark your valuable comments on use of SSL certificates.
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #459293 is a reply to message #459271] Fri, 04 June 2010 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
unfortunately we dont have the old password for the user with us.

So how the user connected to Oracle to change its password, or do you mean it is a super-user (one with ALTER USER) which does it?

It is not easy to set SSL with Oracle, I always used Oracle native encryption for this because as far I remember you have to purchase ASO to be supported by Oracle when you use SSL.
Using SSL with Oracle is described in the following documents (among others):
Advanced Security Administrator's Guide
Chapter 8 Configuring Secure Sockets Layer Authentication

JDBC Developer's Guide and Reference
Chapter 11 SSL Support

Regards
Michel

icon14.gif  Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #471285 is a reply to message #459293] Fri, 13 August 2010 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tawfikora
You can use TDE on database level, or user encryption/tokenization

Read for Database Encryption layers
Re: Network data Encryption between oracle client adn server on unix [message #471288 is a reply to message #471285] Fri, 13 August 2010 03:22 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
TDE is of no use to protect network; the question is "we want to encrypt the data sent by our aplication into oracle database".
TDE is to protect against file (online or backup) theft, nothing more.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: TIMESTAMP on FGA_AUDIT
Next Topic: how can i secure my database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:22:48 CDT 2024