Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle Database Diconnection with VC Application (merged 2) (Oracle 8i, 8.1.7, Windows 2000 Server (SP4))
Oracle Database Diconnection with VC Application (merged 2) [message #405490] Thu, 28 May 2009 01:06 Go to next message
srinivasreddy777

Hi,

We are facing a major issue in our application such as the Application shows customized error as "Connection to the database server is disconnected" and terminates the application abruptly. The error pops up sometimes immediately after opening the application or after a period of time.

I cannot able to figure out how the error is coming. Application is not generating any logs.

The application is built on VC and it has two tier architecture. Application uses the Oracle tnsnames and ODBC Connection to connect to the Oracle Database.

I had done some basic analysis for network availability such as i opened the Oracle Sql*plus and our application simultaneously on the client machine (Windows XP). But application was disconnected with the above mentioned error and sql*plus working normal.

I have also done by switching on connection trace in the sqlnet.ora file. But I can't able to understand the trace file as it has no "null" named entries for connection values.

Whenever the Application is closed abnormally its leaving the ACTIVE session as INACTIVE. Then, I'm killing the oracle sessions manually using ORAKILL using a script, which is scheduled.

Please provide some pointers like how would I log the exception information if any exception is raised in oracle database. Depending on that log information i like to back track the issue.

Oracle Database Environment Details

Oracle Database : Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition (8.1.7)

Please revert in case of any further information is required

Thanks & Regards
Srinivas

[Updated on: Thu, 28 May 2009 01:54] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle Database Diconnection with VC Application (merged 2) [message #405502 is a reply to message #405490] Thu, 28 May 2009 02:13 Go to previous message
ThomasG
Quote:

Whenever the Application is closed abnormally its leaving the ACTIVE session as INACTIVE. Then, I'm killing the oracle sessions manually using ORAKILL using a script, which is scheduled.

You do know, that any session not executing an sql currently is "inactive", when it is still connected and maybe waiting for use input?

So when you kill those sessions, then the "Connection to the database server is disconnected" for the application.

Disable that script, and the problem will most likely disappear.
Previous Topic: Invalid Objects after CPU PAtch
Next Topic: Move RAC database - need to format the disk storage having RAC and ASM installed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 05:32:22 CDT 2024